There are 4 categories of member i.e. Full Member, Associate Member, Student Member and Fellow.
The eligibility criteria for Full Membership are that applicants should:
(a) Have been awarded the Buteyko Clinic International Diploma in the Buteyko Breathing Method.
(b) Have successfully completed training to be a Buteyko professional with a training organization that Buteyko Professionals International recognises as providing training of an equivalent standard.
The eligibility criteria for Associate Membership applicants are that applicants should:
Have been awarded the Buteyko Clinic International ‘Certificate in the Buteyko Breathing Method’(or a qualification deemed by the BPI Management Board to be equivalent). This category of membership is particularly appropriate for individuals who are a specialist in a particular healthcare field (e.g. craniofacial therapy, physiotherapy, physical therapy, respiratory care, dentistry) and want to add some aspects of the Buteyko Breathing Method to their therapeutic armamentarium.
Benefits of Membership
Becoming a Member of Buteyko Professionals International (BPI) means you’ll join an international community of Buteyko professionals with a wealth of knowledge and experience, and a passion for sharing the health and wellness benefits of the Buteyko Breathing Method. You’ll be empowered to improve your professionalism in teaching the Buteyko Breathing Method. Becoming a Full Member of BPI will also enhance your profile in the eyes of clients and other important stakeholders.
The benefits of Full Membership are:
(a) You will become part of an international community of Buteyko professionals. This will enable you to share information and ideas, and to collaborate with professional colleagues.
(b) You will be invited to attend the BPI Annual Conference.
(c) You will be directed to information and resources for your continuous professional development.
(d) You will receive the BPI’s biannual online publication: The Breathing Issue .
(e) You will be entitled to make use of the Buteyko Professionals International logo and the Buteyko Clinic International logo, and other marketing materials.
(f) You will be listed in the BPI Register of Full Members.
(g) You will receive a Buteyko Professionals International Membership certificate (suitable for framing).
(h) You will be entitled to use the title ‘Member of Buteyko Professionals International’ on your business stationery, website, and other promotional materials.
(i) You will be entitled to use the following post-nominal letters: MBPI
The benefits of Associate Membership include benefits (a) to (e) above, as listed for Full Members.
In addition, Associate Members will be listed in the BPI Register of Associate Members.
Associate Members will be entitled to use the title ‘Associate of Buteyko Professionals International’ on their business stationery, website, and other promotional materials. They will receive a Buteyko Professionals International Associate Member Certificate and they will be entitled to use the following post-nominal letters: ABPI. Associate Members have the option of completing additional training to qualify for Full Membership.
Individuals who are studying for the certificate or diploma awarded by Buteyko Clinic International are designated ‘Student Members’ until such time as they graduate and will be entitled to benefits a, b, c, and e, as listed under the heading ‘Benefits of Membership’.
Fellowship is the highest level of membership of Buteyko Professionals International (BPI). Individuals cannot apply to be a Fellow. However, full Members of Buteyko Professionals International can be proposed by an existing Fellow of BPI who submits a proposal to the Executive Council on the full Member’s behalf. In addition to already being a full Member of BPI, individuals proposed for Fellowship will normally need to fulfil the following additional criteria:
- They will hold a university degree or a qualification deemed by the BPI Executive Council to be equivalent. This requirement can sometimes be waived at the discretion of the BPI Executive Council.
- They will have made a significant contribution to the advancement of the Buteyko Breathing Method by one, or a combination of the following:
- Making a major contribution to the successful development of Buteyko Professionals International or Buteyko Clinic International
- Establishing themselves as a leading authority on the Buteyko Breathing Method, either internationally or within their own region/country
- Publishing a book or books on the Buteyko Breathing Method or a closely related subject
- Publishing a number of articles on the Buteyko Breathing Method or closely related subjects, in well established and well respected medical/health related publications
- Lobbying for greater acceptance of the Buteyko Breathing Method within the mainstream medical and healthcare establishment in their own country or internationally
- Some other significant contribution which the BPI Executive Council deems worthy for an individual to be invited to become a Fellow
Fellows will enjoy all the benefits of Full Members of BPI. In addition; they:
- Will be listed on the BPI Register of Fellows
- Will receive a Buteyko Professionals International Fellowship certificate (suitable for framing).
- Will be entitled to use the title ‘Fellow of Buteyko Professionals International’ on their business stationery, website, and other promotional materials.
- Will be entitled to use the following post-nominal letters: FBPI
All BPI members who are actively engaged in teaching clients the Buteyko Breathing Method should:
- Endeavour to work in accordance with the BPI Code of Practice and Ethics.
- Endeavour to engage in Continuing Professional Development (CPD). BPI will give members ongoing direction and encouragement in relation to CPD activities. However, as BPI is not a professional body, CPD is optional, though highly recommended.
- Have current professional indemnity insurance to cover their Buteyko practice.
- Have signed the liability statement on the BPI Membership application form.
Further details on any of the 4 types of membership, the application procedures, and an application form, are available from the Membership Board Member Ana Mahe who can be contacted by Email: [email protected] or phone +353 91 756229.